If you’re a fan of the perfect balance between sweet and tangy, then our homemade bread and butter pickles are bound to be your new obsession. These crisp and flavorful pickles are the epitome of pickle perfection, offering a delightful combination of sweetness and tanginess that will leave you craving more. So, let’s get going and create a jar full of pickle goodness!
- 6 cups pickling cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 large red or white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons pickling salt or 6 tablespoons kosher salt + 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Prepare the cucumbers and onions: Thinly slice the pickling cucumbers into rounds and onion. Place them in a large bowl and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons salt. Toss to coat evenly. Let them sit for about 2 hours to draw out excess moisture.
- Rinse and drain: After 2 hours, rinse the cucumbers and onions under cold water to remove the salt. Drain them well and set aside.
- Prepare the pickling brine: In a large saucepan, combine the white vinegar, salt, apple cider vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and ground turmeric. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Add the cucumbers and onions: Add the rinsed and drained cucumbers and onions to the pickling liquid. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, until the cucumbers and onions are slightly softened.
- Jar the pickles: Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cucumbers and onions into sterilized jars, leaving about 1/2 inch of headspace.
- Pour in the pickling liquid: Ladle the hot pickling liquid over the cucumbers and onions, ensuring they are fully covered. Leave about 1/2 inch of headspace.
- Seal and cool: Wipe the jar rims, place the lids on tightly, and let the jars cool at room temperature for about an hour.
- Let the flavors mingle: After cooling, transfer the jars to the refrigerator and let the pickles sit for at least 24 hours to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Enjoy the sweet tanginess: Once the pickles have had time to marinate, they’re ready to be enjoyed! These bread and butter pickles are perfect as a tasty snack or meal accompaniment.
Pickles on, pickle lovers, and let the sweet tanginess of bread and butter pickles brighten your culinary adventures!